This is the all-around preferred route and directions:
- Follow I-95 South to Washington, D.C., and take the Beltway (I-495) West around the city. Get on I-66 West and proceed to I-81.
- Follow I-81 South to the exit for Route 55/48 West (about three miles).
- Take 55/48 across the WV line, through the town of Wardensville. Wardensville continues to be a notorious speed trap. Drive safely, mind the sudden speed limit change, and consider spending your money elsewhere.
- At the far end of Wardensville, 55/48 becomes the Corridor H divided highway (still 55/48). Take the Moorefield exit (not East Moorefield!) and turn left.
- At the light at the T at the end of the exit ramp at Moorefield, make a left and just stay on Rte. 28 through Moorefield.
- Continue through Petersburg. You’ll make a right turn in “downtown” Petersburg, then go up the hill past a Dairy Queen and on out of town. Note that the closest hospital to TMI is on your left as you leave town.
- Continue on Route 28 through Seneca Rocks.
- At Judy Gap, after a bridge over the river, turn right to stay on 28 South and follow directions beyond Judy Gap(below).
Note: Google (generated live below or on your own) may show a preferred route that stays on the US 48 divided highway beyond Moorefield, exiting on County 5 and meeting WV 28 west of Petersburg. Google typically recommends it, likely because it is ~2 min. quicker while being 8 miles longer. County 5 is a pleasant 2-lane road through farm land which may be interesting for variety. If you need to stop for a meal or supplies on the way to SKMC, you should definitely follow the route given above through Moorefield and Petersburg.
Also, an alternative route through Harrisonburg, VA keeps you on Interstates for more miles, but involves more sinuous mountain driving on US33 than the route above.
Click to view Larger Map and get customized turn by turn directions for your specific beginning location.